By Invite : Scanning the Room Application
Exhibition dates: May 5 - May 28, 2023
Deadline for Call submissions: March 29, 2023
Scanning the room is an automatic response for many people in the Asian American Native Hawaiian Pacific Islander (AANHPI) community to gauge the racial makeup of a space upon entering. Is it a factor of safety in an environment of increased Asian hate or simply as an observational awareness that is physically, emotionally and psychically increased when navigating spaces that have a majority Caucasian racial makeup. Scanning the Room presents work that speaks to identity, politics, or emotions of how an AANHPI artist views their place as the Other in predominantly white spaces.
- Complete application form - link above.
- The Application Process has two parts:
- Please read the instructions on the Application Form carefully to submit images as requested. Please note the instructions for how to submit images of your art. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Deadline for application: March 29, 11:59pm PST.
- All mediums in 2-D and 3-D.
- Artists residing in the continental US.
- You may submit up to three (3) pieces for consideration.
- Only artwork that has not been shown at VCA or any other gallery on Vashon.
- Deliver of art: May 1, 2023
- Artist is responsible for delivery to VCA
- Deliver in-person to VCA.
- Shipment of art must be pre-approved by gallery director.
- Friday opening: May 5, 2023 (Artist reception 5-8pm)
- Closing date: May 28, 2023
- Pick Up of unsold art: May 29, 2023
- Gallery hours of operation during the month of May: Wed - Sun. 12noon - 5pm
Questions: email Gallery Director email@example.com